With the annual Thanksgiving Day games between Reading and Stoneham and North Reading and Lynnfield coming up, we thought we would have a little fun with the rivalry.
We’ve come up with a few reasons each why our town is better than the other, and we invite you to add your own in the comments.
1. Ipswich River. North Reading has a great view of the Ipswich River. Lynnfield has a swamp.
3. Better restaurants. North Reading has the Horseshoe Grille, Kitty's Restaurant & Lounge, and Mario's Pizzeria & Restaurant and more. Lynnfield only has the Ninety Nine Restaurant and Pub, Centre Court Grill, The Fat Cactus and maybe a couple of others.
1. Jordan’s. Under normal circumstances, a furniture store wouldn’t be much to boast about, but Reading’s most notable commercial installation includes a burger joint, an ice cream stand, an IMAX theater, a light show and trapeze lessons.
2. The Reading Fall Street Faire. Reading has a volunteer spirit, and few things have embodied that better than the September fair. Heading into its fourth year, the fair keeps growing, adding vendors, entertainers and—most importantly—visitors.
3. Championship football. This article is, after all, inspired by the Thanksgiving Day football rivalry. Sure, the Rockets didn’t win the big game last year, but the scrappy squad has played under the lights at Gillette Stadium more than once.
Three Reasons why Stoneham is better than Reading:
1. Stone Zoo: Not only does this place have interesting animals to gander at, but it has great events as well, including "A Wild Affair" and the always popular "Zoolights" which kicks off on Thanksgiving.
2. Stoneham Town Day: This annual event draws thousands of people from Stoneham and surrounding communities and has been doing so for nearly three decades. Popular musicians, food and vendors fill the Town Common and it's easily the biggest event of the year in town.
3. Turning the page: While Reading may have the historical edge in the annual Thanksgiving Day football game, Stoneham snapped a lengthy losing streak this season and also won a couple more games along the way, showing marked improvement over recent years.