Ammonia Leak on Concord Street in North Reading
The North Reading Fire Department responded to an ammonia leak on Concord Street Tuesday morning.
The North Reading Fire Department responded to Concord Street Tuesday morning for an ammonia leak. As of noon Tuesday, the leak was still being cleaned. No one was injured.
According to the fire department, they responded shortly after 8 p.m. They got a call for a chemical spill at the Roadway facility, a freight transportation company, at 95 Concord St. A container was being loaded onto a truck, and during the process the container was punctured causing the leak.
The Massachusetts State Hazardous Materials team responded to assist with the clean up and once they deemed the area safe, a private company continued the clean up efforts. The container was removed from the building and placed in the back of the parking lot to make it easier to clean.
Approximately 25 employees were evacuated from the building, according to the fire department. The fire department then opened doors in the building to air it out and eventually, the employees were allowed to re-enter.
According to the fire department, they are still unsure of how much ammonia leaked from the container. They will not know until the clean up is complete.
There were no reported injuries, the fire department said.