Hurricane Sandy: Reading and North Reading Info Center
See a tree down in your neighborhood? Notice a road is flooded? Just saw a store clerk upload a pallet of fresh batteries? Please use this story on Reading-North Reading Patch to help out your neighbors as we brave the storm together.
- October 28, 2012
View Sandy map in a full screen map
READING-NORTH READING PATCH STORM CENTRAL UPDATES:
- 7:30 p.m. Tree crashes through roof at 12 Williams Road, North Reading. No injuries were reported.
- 7:16 p.m. According to Superintendent Doherty, the decision to close schools in Reading Tuesday will be made Tuesday morning when he "can better assess the extent of the power outages and wind damage."
- 7:10 p.m. Most of North Reading has power again.
- 7:00 p.m. Part of North Reading is out of power.
- 3:59 p.m. Erwin Road is open again.
- 3:50 p.m. Tree down on Erwin Road in North Reading. Police have blocked the street from #14 to #22.
- 3:49 p.m. North Ave. is back open in Wakefield to the Reading line.
- 1:38 p.m. Both the Reading Public Library and Town Hall will be closing Monday at 3 p.m. Unless storm damages dictates otherwise, both public buildings are expected to be open for regular hours on Tuesday.
- 12:50 p.m. Due to the hurricane the Burbank YMCA will close at 1 p.m. Monday.
- 12:25 p.m. Both the Reading Board of Selectmen meeting and Board of Assessors meeting Tuesday evening are cancelled.
- 12:23 p.m. Trash, recycling and leaf pickup in Reading is postponed. Residents are asked to bring these materials inside. For more information, please contact the DPW at 781-942-9077.
- 11:30 a.m. North Ave. in Wakefield shut down to the Reading line.
- 10:30 a.m. MBTA service will be suspended effective 2pm today. Customers are encouraged to make final #MBTA trips as early as possible.
- 9:59 a.m. According to North Reading DPW Director Richard Carnevale, due to the weather, curbside trash and recycling has been pushed back to Wednesday.
- 9:42 a.m. Oktoberfest at the Horseshoe Grille is postponed until Nov. 5.
- 9 a.m. The Flint Memorial Library is closed today.
- Reading and North Reading schools are closed on Monday.
- All North Reading Recreation Programs will be cancelled Monday.
- The Reading Public Library will be closing at 6 p.m. Monday and all evening meetings at Reading Town Hall are cancelled.
As you send us messages through social media and email (email@example.com), we’ll make sure the information is added here to this story in the comments and on the map above. If you notice wires down or a tree across the road, please alert authorities and then let us know so we can spread the word quickly. You can comment right on this story to make sure readers know what’s going on in your neighborhood.
Stay with Reading-North Reading Patch as we keep you updated throughout the storm.
|For instant updates on weather and storm news (and more!), follow Reading-North Reading Patch on Facebook and Twitter, or sign-up for our e-mail newsletter.|
Reading-North Reading Patch is all about connecting neighbors and helping neighbors so we hope you’ll find this information hub helpful as we brave the storm together. Stay safe Reading and North Reading!
|Reading-North Reading Patch's extensive Hurricane Sandy coverage is here.|
Here are some important links to our previous coverage:
- Important Links and Phone Numbers to Keep Handy During the Hurricane
- Ten Ways to Use Patch During the Storm
- Prepare: What's in Your Hurricane Disaster Kit
- Seven Free Smartphone Apps to Download Before the Storm
- Are you Hurricane Ready?
- TELL US: Where Are There Power Outages?
- Share Your Hurricane Photos With Us