"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ~Lewis Carroll
There is nothing like a lazy Sunday. Unfortunately because of our hectic lives we don't get to enjoy them as often as we'd like. Between sports, events, errands, etc., it seems as though there is never a day of rest during the week anymore. At this point I'll take what I can get...so how about a lazy Sunday morning? Just a few hours to sleep in, read the paper, take the dog for a leisurely stroll...then eat a nice breakfast with my cup of Joe.
This quiche is perfect for a Sunday morning or any lazy morning, because you can premake it a day or two ahead of time and just throw it in the oven when you're ready. The recipe makes two so you can even freeze one for later. Feel free to add meat to this if you are so inclined-cooked bacon, sausage or ham would be great in it.
Lazy Morning Quiche:
- 2 9” pie crusts
- 1 sm sweet onion, chopped
- 1 4.5 oz. can mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 7 Eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream (or milk-but the cream is fantastic)
- 8 oz. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground pepper
- Pre-bake pie crust according to directions.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms until onions are soft and translucent.
- Set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat eggs together and then add cream and mix.
- Stir in cheeses, vegetables and the rest of ingredients.
- Divide filling between two pie crusts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until crusts are golden and filling is set.
(Adapted from Skip to my Lou's "The Best Quiche" recipe)