Mosquito With EEE Found in North Reading
A mosquito with the EEE virus was found on Maple Road.
According to North Reading Health Agent Martin Fair, a mosquito with the EEE virus was found on Maple Road in North Reading.
Mosquitoes caught in a trap on Maple Road earlier in the week were tested, and one was confirmed to have the EEE virus. The infected mosquito was a Culiseta melanura, a bird biting mosquito, Fair said.
"The chances of someone getting EEE went from non-existent to remote,” Fair said.
Certain areas of town including Maple Road, the Eisenhaure pond area, Central, North and Haverhill Streets were sprayed with pesticide Thursday night, according to Fair.
There was also a mosquito trap on Southwick Road, but the mosquitoes trapped and tested were not infected.
Fair said he would like to "stress personal protection," and that the worst time for mosquitoes is from dusk until dawn. If you have to be outside after sunset, wear long pants and long sleeves, use insect repellent and make sure your house is mosquito proof, Fair said.
The first symptoms of EEE are fever, headache and fatigue and are noticeable three to 10 days after a bite from an infected mosquito. Encephalitis, inflammation and swelling of the brain, is a dangerous and serious complication.