New NRMS Traffic Plan
Check out the new traffic plan for the middle school.
Construction at North Reading Middle School has started, and the school building project is on track. According to middle school Assistant Principal Michael Maloney, the biggest change so far that will impact parents and students is the new traffic plan.
With the new traffic plan, students will no longer have to walk through an active traffic lane to get to a bus or vehicle. There is a lane for students traveling to school on a bus and a separate lane for students traveling to school in a vehicle.
Here are some directions provided by school administrators that parents should know before school starts: (the attached PDF shows the new pattern on a map and lists the directions.)
- Vehicles waiting in the Parent Pickup/Drop Off Lane should remain in single file with engines turned off.
- Students should not cross into any traffic lane at any time to access vehicles.
- U-Turns are not allowed.
- Please be aware of buses entering and exiting the traffic pattern.
- Only buses are allowed in the Bus Pickup/Drop Off Lane during the times of 7:30 to 8:15 a.m. and 2:00 to 2:45 p.m.
- There is no through traffic allowed in the parking lot from 7:30 to 8:15 a.m. and 2:00 to 2:45 p.m. Vehicles should use the Parent Pickup/Drop Off Lane to enter and exit the school. If conducting school business during these times, use one of the lower parking spaces to park.
If you notice a car accessing the parking lot during the drop off and pickup times, it is most likely a staff member as they will be using the parking spaces.
The middle school is hosting a “Walkabout” on Thursday, Aug. 30 from 9 to 11 a.m. for parents and students to familiarize themselves with the new traffic pattern and changes to the school.
The school administration will monitor the new plan when school starts and make any changes if necessary. Contact Maloney with questions: email@example.com or 978-664-7806 ext. 235.