Monday, Dec. 26
- Happy Christmas. All town and municipal offices will be closed Monday, in observance of the Christmas holiday.
- Deck the Schools. Don’t forget, Monday is your last chance to enter our “Deck Your House” contest for a chance to win $100,000 for Reading Public Schools. Get out the lights and make your house festive, then upload the photo to the contest entry form on the site. Monday is the last day entries will be considered, so don’t miss the chance to win big for Reading public schools.
- ZooLights! Looking for something fun to do with the kids after Christmas? Why not head over to Stoneham and check out ZooLights at the Stone Zoo? This winter wonderland attracts thousands of visitors each year who get into the holiday spirit by strolling along tree-lined paths lit by thousands of twinkling lights.
- Sports. The Austin Prep girls hockey team has a road game Monday, as the Lady Cougars travel all the way down to Kingston to face Norwell High at The Bog.
Tuesday, Dec. 27
- It’s good for what ails you. The Reading Public Library will be hosting a Quack Medicine Show at 7 p.m. Educator and entertainer David Downs will appear at the RPL to present The Marvelous, Amusing Quack Medicine Show. Learn things like how the monaural stethoscope was invented and why the “ear cone” was placed in the ear and set afire. Not to mention, witness such blatant quackery as the Electric Magneto Nervous Machine as Downs, a member of the Living History Association, shares his unique collection of vintage medical devices while discussing the extraordinary medical techniques in favor during the 18th and 19th century.
- Holiday blood drives. The holiday season is the time for giving. Give the most precious gift of all: the gift of life. Participate in one of the local blood drives in December and receive a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert from Chili’s Grill & Bar.
- Hockey. The Reading High boys hockey team will be in action Tuesday at the Burns Tournament, along with teams like Arlington High and Billerica. The games will be at the Burbank Ice Arena, times are still TBA.
Wednesday, Dec. 28
- Lake Q 5k. We’ve got just the thing to help burn off all those Christmas calories: a five-kilometer jaunt around Wakefield’s beautiful Lake Quannapowitt. Join local harriers of all ages and the Mystic Runners Club for their weekly Lake Q Fun Run, starting at 6:45 p.m. Runners are advised to arrive early to register.
- Johnny has gone for a soldier. Families are invited to come to the meeting room at the Reading Public Library at 1 p.m. for a look at what Reading was like during the Civil War. After a brief introduction, Everett and Ginny Blodgett will lead the group to Laurel Hill Cemetery for a tour of the Civil War Monument and grave sites of local Civil War veterans. Afterwards, snacks will be served back at the library.
- Sports. The Rockets are in action across multiple arenas Wednesday, including the RMHS grapplers at the prestigious George Bossi Lowell Holiday Tournament. Boys and girls track, swimming and boys basketball are also in action. Click here for more information.
Thursday, Dec. 29
- Pajama story time. Children ages four and up and their families are invited to enjoy some great songs and stories with the Reading Public Library librarians and Cocoa Moose! This is a free event and no registration is necessary. Don’t forget to wear your PJs and bring your teddy bear.
- Sports. The Burns Hockey Tournament continues, as does the George Bossi Lowell Holiday Wrestling Tournament, while the boys basketball team will open play at the Chelsea Tournament in Chelsea on Thursday. The boys indoor track team will also be in action as they run at the Holiday Qualifier at the Reggie Lewis Track Center in Boston. A complete schedule of RMHS athletics can be found here.
Friday, Dec, 30
- Stump Trivia. Hey, Poindexter: looking for a way to flex those intellectual muscles tonight—while enjoying your favorite libation? Head over to Grumpy Doyle’s on Main Street for Stump Trivia and show everyone your extensive knowledge of the Hapsburg Monarchy, the cast of M*A*S*H or whatever other Cliff Claven-esque pearls you may carry around with you. Trivia starts at 8 p.m., as always.