As 2011 winds down, Reading Patch will be counting the down the most viewed stories on the site this year. Today we're bringing you the 30th through the 21st most popular articles of 2011.
Each day this week, we'll be bringing you 10 more stories, culminating on Friday, with the top 10 stories of the year.
30) Five Things, Including a Call for Memories: Another somber edition of our daily Five Things column, this time, from the day after the Joe Ronan murder. Reading Patch asked readers to share their memories of the former hockey star as the community tried to make sense of yet another tragic and senseless death.
29) Power Line Accident Causes Power Outages in Four Towns Including Reading: An accident involving NSTAR work crews resulted in a major power outage. Wilmington, Reading, Lynnfield, North Reading, Tewksbury, Woburn, Stoneham and Billerica were all impacted.
28) Video: The Addison Wesley Building Comes Down: Not much to describe here: there was a building known as the Addison Wesley Building, and now there isn’t. See how it went down ... literally. Also, read the vibrant discussion that broke out on the comment boards regarding the planned development of the site.
27) Letter: Grade School Memories of Quinlan Junta: A very moving letter from Killam Elementary School Principal Cathy Giles, recalling a side of Junta that wasn’t being talked about much in the wake of his tragic death. Giles remembered a bright, charming young man who entered her first-grade classroom many years before. The letter truly underscores the profound loss felt by those who knew Junta and remains quite moving.
26) Five Things, Including Another Sad Loss for Reading: The edition of our daily preview from the day following the death Quinlan Junta. Also featured is the dedication of John Hollingsworth Field and more.
25) Selectmen: Time to Revisit Drug Control Efforts: Following the fatal shootings of two Reading residents over an eight-day span, the Board of Selectmen said it was time to revisit the town’s drug control policy, as investigators indicated both killings may have been drug related.
24) PHOTOS: Scenes From Monday’s Crime Scene: A photo gallery containing images from the scene of the Joe Ronan murder—the family’s home at 3 Lawrence Road.
23) UPDATE: Runaway Boys Found: An update to an article about two missing boys who were located in Providence and returned safely to Reading. The pair, it is believed, were originally headed to Miami with roughly $900 between them.
22) UPDATE: Two Charged Following Thursday’s Shooting: Police arrested two individuals—a boyfriend and girlfriend—and charged them with multiple offenses following a domestic disturbance in which shots were fired. No one was injured, but Sherry Hale, 38, and Richard Currier, 45, were both arrested in connection with the incident.
21) Second Suspect In Home Invasion Turns Himself In: The second suspect in Monday's Reading Commons home invasion turned himself in to police in the company of his attorney. Police said the victim identified Quinlan Junta, the 21-year-old son of “Hockey Dad” Thomas Junta, as one of two assailants who struck him with a black handgun, beat him, then stole a “substantial amount of money.”