Did you miss some news this week? Want to know what the top stories were? Here is a list of the top five stories from this past week:
1. . Reading Town Meeting voted 113-39 last week to prohibit any future medical marijuana treatment center from opening here.
On Nov. 6, Election Day, Massachusetts voters approved a ballot question that allows the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Reading voters supported the question by just under 60 percent, Town Manager Peter Hechenbleikner told Town Meeting.
2. North Reading Hiker Injured in N.H. According to WCVB.com, North Reading woman Gayle Carroll was hiking the White Arrow Trail on Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire when she suffered a leg injury. Rescue crews performed first aid before she was transported to the hospital.
3. Walmart Pushes Back Black Friday Opening in Mass. Shoppers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island will have to wait until after Thanksgiving to take advantage of Black Friday sales at retail giantWalmart.
While Walmart locations across the rest of the country will open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, Massachusetts and Rhode Island’s Blue Laws prohibit the store to open that early in those two states. Instead, Walmart will open at 1 a.m., which is also the time many other retailers, including Target, plan to open for business on Black Friday.
4. VIDEO: NRHS Students Celebrate Veterans Day. The North Reading High School chorus and band performed Friday afternoon to celebrate Veterans Day. The students created the entire program.
5. . As the Old South Church bell chimed 11 o’clock Sunday morning, a crowd of about 150 people gathered on Reading Common to celebrate Veterans Day.