Today is Monday, Oct. 15. Here are five things you need to know today:
1. The weather. A chance of showers today, mainly after 11 a.m. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Southwest wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Tonight, a chance of showers. Patchy fog before 2 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 51. South wind 3 to 8 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2. Editor Returns. Reading-North Reading Patch editor Ashley Troutman returns after being off last week. Take it easy on her as she plows through a full email inbox. :)
3. Best Halloween Costume Contest. Patch is searching for the Best Halloween Costume in America. Enter yourself or your kids for a chance to win $5,000!
4. Movie at Reading Senior Center. At 12:45 p.m. today, the Senior Center will show "The Iron Lady." Meryl Streep provides a subtle and nuanced portrait of Margaret Thatcher; the first female prime minister of Britain, whose political career and determination changed the rules that had limited women's opportunities for leadership.
5. Cradles to Crayons Drive. State Sen. Katherine Clark is partnering with Cradles to Crayons to benefit children in need. Cradles to Crayons collects new and gently used clothing, art supplies, baby supplies like blankets and car seats, and other necessities in drop boxes around the district. A collection box has been placed in the Burbank YMCA and will remain there until Oct. 26. On October 27, the collected items will be sorted at the Melrose Middle School, 350 Lynn Fells Parkway, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Volunteers are needed.