Have you tried to make cake pops before? It's fun, but not easy, so try to buy a baking kit that has all the ingredients you'll need and set aside about an hour to make these tasty treats.
A cake pops baking kit typically includes:
- chocolate cake mix
- vanilla frosting mix
- milk chocolate melting wafers
- glitter chrystals or sprinkles
- cake pop sticks
If you don't want to buy the kit, just pick up those five ingredients along with:
- powdered sugar
- wax paper
1. First make the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you have a regular cake mix, follow the directions on the box. If you have a baking kit, heat three tablespoons of butter and let cool. Mix the cake mix from the kit with the butter, a quarter of a cup of water and one egg. Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and cook for 25 minutes, or until tooth-pick inserted to the center comes out clean. After the cake is finished, put it in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes. After the cake has cooled, crumble it by hand in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. Making frosting. If you are using frosting mix from a baking kit, start by using an electric mixer and beat two tablespoons of butter until it is light and fluffy. Add frosting mix and half a cup of powdered sugar until combined. Slowly add half a tablespoon of milk and beat on high for one minute.
3. Mix frosting and cake. Whether you made the frosting, or used store-bought frosting, mix it with the crumbled cake until the mixture can easily be shaped into balls. Roll the mixture into one-inch balls and place them on a plate lined with wax paper. Place the balls in the freezer and let harden for 20 minutes.
4. Chocolate coating. Take the balls out of the freezer and heat the chocolate wafers in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Dip a pop stick into the melted chocolate and then into a cake ball. Then, dip the cake ball into the melted chocolate. Be sure that the melted chocolate completely covers the chocolate ball. Lastly, dip the chocolate ball in glitter chrystals or sprinkles and place on a plate to dry. Repeat until you run out of cake or melted chocolate.