The Lynnfield-North Reading Pioneer-Hornets cooperative wrestling team defeated Josiah Quincy Upper School 65-7 in their last dual meet of the season Tuesday evening to finish with an unprecedented 25-0 undefeated record.
A huge crowd was on hand to cheer the matmen on to their final victory. The Pioneer-Hornets left little to doubt, winning early and often against the overmatched Rising Phoenix. Showing their good sportsmanship to the end, the Lynnfield-North Reading team capped their season in style.
A few statistics from the Pioneer-Hornets’ season:
- Team record: Twenty–five wins and no losses
- Average points scored in a dual meet: 49.4
- Opponents average score: 16.3
- Most points scored by Lynnfield-North Reading: 72 (Dec. 22 vs. Malden Catholic),
- Least points scored by Lynnfield-North Reading: 24 (Jan. 19 vs. Everett, Note: Everett had an incomplete roster and Lynnfield-North Reading passed on taking many forfeit points.)
- Most points scored by an opponent: 33 (Jan. 3 vs. Masco)
- Least points scored by an opponent: 4 (Jan. 23 vs. Cambridge Rindge & Latin)
- Average margin of victory: 33.1
- Widest margin of victory: 64 (Jan. 23 vs. Cambridge Rindge & Latin)
- Narrowest margin of victory: 5 (Jan. 3 vs. Masco)
- Matches won by 24 points or more: 17
Clearly, the Lynnfield-North Reading team was totally dominant this year, even winning the statewide Division III #1 ranking from online pundits MassWrestling.com.
The Lynnfield-North Reading wrestlers will compete this Saturday in the MIAA Division III North Sectional Tournament at Melrose High School. Matches begin at 9:30 AM.