After last week’s historic votes and the overwhelming approval of the construction and financing of a new Wilmington High School, there are a lot of THANK YOU’s to go around!
- Thank you to each member of the 25-person Wilmington High School 4.0 campaign committee (and their families): Laura Ahern, Diane Allan, Dan Bamberg, Greg Bendel, Ginny Bonish, Michelle Bryan, Steve Bjork, Karen Campbell, Christine DeAmbrose, Melissa Doherty, Linda Ducharme, Diane Garrity, Dick Hayden, Lisa Johnson, Tricia Lambert, Joe Martiniello, Becky McGrath, Manny Mulas, Mike Newhouse, Judy O’Connell, Jomarie O’Mahony, Lori Penney, Shelly Sainato, and Nancy Vallee. A special thank you to Mike Newhouse for his incredible leadership and vision.
- Thank you to the 300+ campaign volunteers who helped the Wilmington High School 4.0 Committee in numerous capacities. I wish I could list you all, but you know who you are.
- Thank you to the 250+ supporters who displayed a lawn sign and a sincere sorry to the other 250+ supporters who wanted one! Thank you to the nearly 100 supporters who held signs at the polls and the 100+ supporters who attended the campaign rally. Thank you to the 1,000+ supporters (of all ages!) who proudly wore lapel stickers.
- Thank you to the 1,200+ supporters who subscribed to the campaign e-newsletter and the nearly 400 supporters who followed us on social networking sites. Thank you to the 25+ supporters who wrote letters to the local papers. Thank you to the many supporters on the Patch.
- Thank you to the Wilmington Town Crier, Wilmington Advocate, Wilmington Patch, Lowell Sun, and Boston Globe for keeping residents informed throughout the campaign. Thank you to the Crier and Sun for their endorsements. Thank you to WCTV for their coverage of the High School Building Committee’s Public Forums, the Special Town Election, and the Special Town Meeting.
- Thank you to the countless community organizations, school groups, sports leagues, and local businesses for their cooperation. Again, I wish I could list you all, but you know who you are. Thank you to the Tewksbury School Department for allowing the committee to have a presence at the Wilmington-Tewksbury Thanksgiving Football Game. (The Wildcats have your number next year, by the way!)
- Thank you to Town Clerk Sharon George, her team, and all the election officers for a well-run Special Town Election and Special Town Meeting. Thank you to Town Moderator Jim Stewart, along with Scott Garrant, for another job well done at the Special Town Meeting. Thank you to Diane Garrity for her yeoman’s work in organizing childcare at the Special Town Meeting.
- Thank you to every member of the School Committee, Board of Selectmen, and our state delegation for their unanimous support. Thank you to every member of the Finance Committee for their unanimous support as well.
- Thank you to Town Manager Michael Caira and his team, Superintendent Joanne Benton and her team, and the High School Building Committee for all their tremendous work on the building project thus far.
- Most importantly, thank you to the residents of Wilmington, especially the 3,778 residents (75%) who voted YES at the polls and the 1,426 residents (98%) who voted YES at the town meeting. From 18 year-old students to senior citizens, Wilmington sent a message – loud and clear – that it values education; cares about its children; takes pride in its community; and recognizes the undeniable need for a new Wilmington High School. Thank you Wilmington!
WHS 4.0 Committee Chair