Two residents were displaced yesterday after a fire on Grand Street. No one was injured, the fire department said.
The call for the fire came in on Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. The blaze was contained to the basement of 16 Grand St., according to the fire department. The occupants were outside when firefighters arrived.
It took firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze, but they spent several hours on scene to ensure that the fire was out.
Some smoke and heat extended to the first floor and smoke to the second, the fire department said. They were able to limit the damage, but the electrical system will need to be repaired and the house will need to be cleaned due to the smoke. The cost of damage was estimated to be around $20,000, the fire department said.
American Red Cross volunteers responded to the single family home on Grand Street to assist, according to Red Cross Communications Manager Ashley Studley. The volunteers provided the occupants with temporary shelter at a hotel and emergency funds for food, clothing and comfort kits. The comfort kits include toiletries and smoke packs to help remove the smell of smoke from clothing and linen.