News Alert
Bomb Threat at UMass Boston, Building Evacuated

Reading Firefighters Help Knock Down Melrose Fire

The flames may have been caused by a dehumidifier in the basement.

Scene of fire at 297 Bay State Road in Melrose. Credit: Courtesy/TM Gorman Photography
Scene of fire at 297 Bay State Road in Melrose. Credit: Courtesy/TM Gorman Photography
Written by Mark Ouellette

Reading Fire Department members traveled to Melrose over the weekend to help battle a two-alarm fire that may have been caused by a dehumidifier.

At 5:35 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 19, Melrose firefighters responded to 297 Bay State Road after a neighbor called it in the fire. The blaze was concentrated to the one-story addition located at the rear of the 2 1/2-story single-family home, according to Winslow.

Malden and Reading firefighters helped battle the fire with Melrose, while Wakefield, Everett and Revere provided coverage at the station, according to Winslow.

"We went into the room where that fire was and knocked that down, and immediately they began looking to see if that fire had extended in the walls. They found that the fire had actually started in the basement in the one-story addition," Melrose Captain Jim Winslow said, adding that it took less than 10 minutes to knock down the blaze thanks to help of crews from surrounding towns. "It spread up into the first floor, got up into the ceiling of the one-story addition and got out through the roof through a skylight."

No one was home or injured during the fire; however, a neighbor did rescue an injured dog from the home, according to Winslow. The dog was taken to a local veterinary clinic, he added.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something