1) Mild, Partly Cloudy. Today will be in the mid 40s and mostly sunny, with northwest winds between 5-10 miles per hour, according to Weather Underground. In the evening, clouds will increase and temperatures will drop down to around 19 degrees. Winds will remain at around 5-10 mph.
2) Town Meeting Preview. The Board of Selectmen meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall. Among the items on the agenda will be an early look at what may be on the warrant at the next Town Meeting and a presentation of the Amplified Sound in Public Parks policy. Click here for the complete agenda.
3) Winter Festival. The Stoneham Theatre is proud to present featuring actors in grades 1 through 12 from all over Massachusetts. Stoneham Theatre’s Young Company presents Twists on Old Tales! Winter Festival with Once Upon A Mattress, Disney’s Beauty And The Beast, and Into The Woods. The Festival runs from Feb. 1 through 12. Tickets per performance are the price of regular admission at $10 in advance, $15 after Feb. 1. Kids and Students always just $10.
4) Sports. Girls and boys basketball are both in action for Reading High on Tuesday, with the girls at home against Lexington at 5:30 p.m., while the boys also play the Minutemen at home at 7 p.m. Girls gymnastics plays against Winchester at 7:30 p.m. Click here for the complete Rockets schedule. Austin Prep. The Cougars boys basketball team is home against Arlington Catholic at 6:30 p.m., while the girls face them on the road at the same time. Boys skiing is also in action at Bradford Ski Area starting at 3 p.m. Here’s the full AP schedule.
5) The King is Dead, Long live the Queen. On this day, in 1952, Great Britain’s King George VI succumbs to a lengthy illness in his sleep at the Windsor family estate in Sandringham, England. The heir to the throne, Princess Elizabeth, the king’s eldest daughter, is in Kenya at the time of her father’s death. She would be crowned at Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953, at the age of 27. Queen Elizabeth, born on April 21, 1926, and known to her family as Lilibet, was groomed as a girl to succeed her father. She married a distant cousin, Philip Mountbatten, on November 20, 1947, at London's Westminster Abbey. The first of Elizabeth's four children, Prince Charles, was born in 1948. Queen Elizabeth II is the 40th British monarch since William the Conqueror wrested control of the island nation from its Saxon kings in 1066. She celebrated the 50th anniversary of her reign in 2003—just the fifth British monarch to do so.