.

UPDATE: Barrows Students Evacuated Due to High Carbon Monoxide Readings

According to reports, students and staff were evacuated to Austin Prep School.

Students were evacuated on Tuesday from Barrows.
Students were evacuated on Tuesday from Barrows.
Updated Tuesday at 3:24 p.m.: Superintendent of Schools John Doherty said on Tuesday afternoon that a decision has not yet been made on whether or not students will return to the building on Wednesday.

Doherty added that there were no injuries or sickness suffered by anyone in the school. No cause has been determined as of 3 p.m.

Original story posted Tuesday at 12:55 p.m.: Students and faculty were evacuated from Alice M. Barrows Elementary School on Tuesday morning due to carbon monoxide in the school.

Initial reports began coming in after 11 a.m., indicating that students from the school at 16 Edgemont Ave. were being evacuated.

The Reading Police Department confirmed the news just before noon on Tuesday via its Facebook page and Twitter account.

"Students are being evacuated from Barrows Elementary as a precaution due to high carbon monoxide readings," police posted. "The students of Barrows will be bused to Austin Prep to wait for their parents."

Check back with Reading Patch for more information on this developing story as it becomes available.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »