The new Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association football playoff schedule will mean a much different schedule for the Reading High Rockets this year.
The Rockets take on Dracut in the season opener and Arlington in their second game of the year to open the home slate.
Rather than the usual Super Bowl structure that featured teams playing in playoff games after Thanksgiving, the playoffs will start at the beginning of November.
Teams that don’t make the playoffs will play other non-playoff teams in the weeks leading up to the annual Thanksgiving game. The six state championship games will take place after Thanksgiving.Confused – and just want to know the Reading High schedule? Here’s the schedule for the upcoming varsity football season (please note that Reading football will play games between Oct. 25 and Thanksgiving, but they won’t find out who they're playing until after the playoff teams are announced at the end of October).
- Friday, Sept. 20 – at Dracut High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 27 – Arlington High School, 7 p.m. FIRST HOME GAME
- Saturday, Oct. 5 – at Winchester High School, 2:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 12 – at Lexington High School, 1 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 18 – at Belmont High School, 6 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 25 – Woburn High School, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 28 – Stoneham High School, 10 a.m.