This quaint take-out restaurant opened five years ago with the idea of changing the face of fast food. Owner John Ryan is focused on providing a healthy and fresh alternative for those on the go. The ingredients are purchased daily from local markets, and the food is made fresh when ordered. The Green Tomato calls it their "Take-out without the Guilt" and the town has had a positive response. Reading has voted The Green Tomato number one for take-out and catering, and Fox 25 news has featured them on their 2008 Zip Trip to Reading.
The Green Tomato menu has delectable food options. Diners can choose from salads, sandwiches and wraps. Several types of pasta dishes are made including primavera, cacciatora, scampi, and piccata with choices of eggplant, chicken, veal and shrimp. The Green Tomato also has daily specials; each day offers about a half-dozen new meals. These meals are more home-cooked traditions such as roasted turkey, American chop suey, baked eggplant, and meatloaf. Each meal comes with a choice of two vegetable and/or starch sides. The Green Tomato also has fresh-catch daily fish specials.
The restaurant has no real seating except for the tables outside located right across from the train depot. It's a lovely location to take a break for lunch and watch the commuters in action. Instead of the on-site dining options, The Green Tomato provides take-out, delivery and catering for both large functions and corporate events. They also have a meals-ordered-in-advance-plan where customers can send them their orders on Monday and have food available all week long. This option is highly suggested as a service for those who are home-bound. The Green Tomato is open Monday through Friday and is closed on weekends except for the catering division.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 11am - 8pm
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Products: Fresh Quality Home-Cooked Italian and American Foods.
- Food & dining options: Natural, Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Delivery, Eat-in, Phone orders, Prepared foods, Take-out
- Menu link: www.greentomato2.com/Menu.html
- Specialties: Vegetarian and Italian Cuisine
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Sandwiches, Seafood, Vegetarian/Vegan
- Signature dishes: Green Tomato House Salad, Vegetarian Summer Wraps, Anything with Eggplant
- What dish is most representative of the restaurant?: Green Tomato House Salad, Veal Primavera, Fancy Pants Wrap
- Price level: $$
- Features: Catering, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor seating
- Atmosphere: Fun
- Dress code: Casual