Thursday, January 31, 2013
No one was injured.
According to the North Reading Fire Department, a call came in around 6:21 a.m. Thursday for a fire on Westward Circle. The family was home when the fire started, but no one was injured. Due to the strong winds Thursday morning, a tree fell on the power cables outside and short circuited the house, the fire department said. The fire was mostly inside the walls, according to the fire department, making it hard to find. It took firefighters under an hour to put the fire out. However, they were called back to the scene just after 8 a.m. for a fire inside the walls in a different location in the home. It was a continuation of the same problem, the fire department explained. It took under an hour to put that fire out. A fire detail will stay on…
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
There were no injuries.
According to the North Reading Fire Department, there was a USPS tractor-trailer fire near 80 Concord Street. No one was injured. The call came in around 7:13 p.m. for the tractor-trailer fire. The vehicle caught on fire near 80 Concord St., the fire department said. The fire was contained to the engine of the vehicle. The fire department believes that the fire was electrical, but they are not positive about the cause and are still investigating. The fire took about 15 minutes to put out.
Sunday, January 20, 2013
According to scanner reports, the Building Inspector is on scene Sunday afternoon with a large tree coming down on a house.
Sunday's windy conditions have already had an impact in Reading and North Reading, with a pair of trees reportedly causing issues in the area. According to scanner reports, a large tree fell into a house on Central Street in North Reading. The damage was bad enough that, according to North Reading Police Lieutenant Tom Romeo, wires were ripped off the home and the light company was called to the scene. Romeo said the 911 call came in 12:29 p.m. at 157 Central Street, though the damage was unknown at the time. Scanner reports indicated that the building inspector was called to the scene. In addition, around the same time in Reading, a tree was blown down and fell across the road. Van Norden Road was closed due to electrical wires that were …
Saturday, January 19, 2013
North Reading Fire Chief William Warnock was sworn in on Friday.
Residents, town employees and firefighters from North Reading and beyond gathered to support Chief William Warnock as he was sworn in by Town Clerk Barbara Stats at Town Hall Friday. The room was overflowing with supporters while Warnock was officially sworn in at 10:30 a.m. Friday. Take a look at the videos attached to see the ceremony and hear what Warnock had to say.
Thursday, November 15, 2012
No one was injured.
The North Reading Fire Department received a call for a chimney fire at 15 Hill Street around 6:45 p.m. No one was injured. The fire was contained to the chimney and took approximately 45 minutes to put out. Some embers came out of the top of the chimney and fell on the roof, but they were quickly extinguished, the fire department said. According to the fire department, the family can stay in the house tonight and the damage was minor.
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
No one was injured.
The North Reading Fire Department reported to Plymouth Road Wednesday evening to put out a chimney fire. No injuries were reported. Around 6:20 p.m. Wednesday, the fire department reported to 6 Plymouth Road after receiving a call for a chimney fire. The family had a fire going in the fireplace and the fire spread to the wall adjacent to the chimney, according to the fire department. It took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, and then approximately another hour to dismantle the wall to ensure that the fire was completely out. The fire caused damage to both the chimney and part of the wall adjacent to it, the fire department said. No injuries were reported and the family is back in their home tonight.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
The North Reading Fire Department responded to an ammonia leak on Concord Street Tuesday morning.
The North Reading Fire Department responded to Concord Street Tuesday morning for an ammonia leak. As of noon Tuesday, the leak was still being cleaned. No one was injured. According to the fire department, they responded shortly after 8 p.m. They got a call for a chemical spill at the Roadway facility, a freight transportation company, at 95 Concord St. A container was being loaded onto a truck, and during the process the container was punctured causing the leak. The Massachusetts State Hazardous Materials team responded to assist with the clean up and once they deemed the area safe, a private company continued the clean up efforts. The container was removed from the building and placed in the back of the parking lot to make it easier to …
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Acting Deputy Barry Galvin recently passed the civil service exam to become deputy fire chief.
Acting Deputy Barry Galvin joined the North Reading Fire Department in 1993, and recently passed the civil service exam to become deputy fire chief. Galvin grew up in Danvers and received his Master's Degree in Fire and Emergency Management from Anna Maria College. He first joined the Middleton Fire Department in 1990 as a call firefighter before he became a North Reading firefighter 19 years ago. The North Reading resident was promoted to captain in 2005, and most recently to acting deputy in October of 2011. He recently passed the statewide civil service exam for deputy fire chief and is still waiting for the town to appoint a permanent fire chief. Once that is complete, Galvin should become deputy. The test was timed, and about 80 …
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The residents of 13 Shirley Ave. in North Reading had a tree fall on their home Wednesday during the storm.
Due to a severe thunderstorm Wednesday afternoon, two trees fell on Shirley Avenue and one fell on a house. According to the Fire Department, the residents should be able to return home tonight. Residents of 13 Shirley Ave. were lucky no one was in the bedroom on the second floor of the home when a tree came crashing down on the house, according to the Fire Department. The occupants evacuated immediately after the tree struck. The tree penetrated a second floor bedroom wall and the roof in three spots. Water rushed in through the roof and electrical service had to be shut down. There was structural damage to the roof and an emergency board crew worked on the house this afternoon.
Monday, May 28, 2012
The North Reading Fire Department put out a fire yesterday on Flint Street.
Firefighters from the North Reading Fire Department extinguished a fire yesterday on Flint Street. The damage was contained to the garage, no one was injured. The fire started at 12:52 p.m. Sunday on 24 Flint Street. According to the Fire Department, it took them three hours to extinguish the blazes. The fire started from the outside, according to the initial report from the Fire Department. The homeowners had a barrel fire and a piece of wood fell out of the barrel and started the garage fire. Firefighters began working on the outside, but had to move inside the garage to completely extinguish the fire. No one was injured during the fire, and the house was saved. The three-bay garage was damaged, the Fire Department said.