Thursday, May 17, 2012
A female fell from the third floor on Greenbriar Drive and was transported to the hospital.
Around 9 a.m. Thursday morning, a 21-year-old female fell from the third floor on Greenbriar Drive in North Reading. She was transported to the hospital, but her injuries are unknown. According to the Fire Department, they reported to the scene on Greenbriar Drive were a female fell three stories. Medflight was requested to transport the female to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. Check in with us for more information as it becomes available.
Donna Picone walked nine and a half miles to the North Reading Fire Station to show her appreciation for firefighters.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
An electrical fire Monday night caused Andrea's House of Pizza to be closed on Tuesday.
The North Reading Fire Department responded to a fire at Andrea's House of Pizza on Monday night around 9 p.m. and the eatery was closed on Tuesday. According to Fire Chief William Warnock, there was a small electrical fire in the ceiling that was put out quickly with a portable extinguisher. The plaster roof had wire mesh and over time the wire was rubbing up against the wire mesh, which made it in through the installation. Once the mesh came in contact with the piece of metal it energized that and started the fire in the wood, Warnock said. "Once we shut off the electricity, the hazard was removed," Warnock said. The restaurant was evacuated and an electrical inspector and the Board of Health reported to the scene. No one was injured.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Firefighters had to return to the scene later in the day to extinguish smoldering items.
A two-alarm blaze on Linwood Avenue in North Reading was put out by North Reading firefighters Monday. The fire was accidental, according to Fire Chief William Warnock. According to Warnock, the fire started by the spontaneous combustion of oily rags that were used to stain the deck over the weekend. The rags were put in a plastic container under the deck. "It is the most probable cause for the fire," Warnock said. The fire call came in just before 1 p.m. Monday, according to the Fire Department. It took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. No one was home during the fire except for the family's dog, Charlie, who was rescued from a front bedroom. Lynnfield, Middleton, Wakefield, Wilmington and Reading helped the North Reading Fire …
Monday, April 16, 2012
The fire at 41 Linwood Ave. is out and the family dog Charlie was rescued from a bedroom.
A two-alarm blaze on Linwood Avenue in North Reading was put out by North Reading firefighters with help from six other towns. The family's dog, Charlie, was rescued from a front bedroom. No one else was home when the fire started. The fire call came in just before 1 p.m. Monday and according to the Fire Department, when they arrived the entire far end of the house was on fire, extending to the attic. It took them about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, according to the Fire Department. Lynnfield, Middleton, Wakefield, Wilmington and Reading helped the North Reading Fire Department at the scene. The State Fire Marshal's office and North Reading Police detectives are investigating the fire.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Firefighters attended a three-day course with the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy.
Six members of the Fire Department participated in a hazardous materials course with the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy last week. Chief Bill Warnock, Deputy Chief Barry Galvin, Captains Rick Nash and Joe Marotta and Firefighters Kevin Carter and Dave Lee participated in a three-day course: Hazardous Materials: Operational Level Responder. According to the Fire Department, the firefighters learned methods to identify hazardous materials, assess various types of hazardous material incidents, when to call for assistance from the regional hazardous materials response team and the importance of pre-planning. "We also learned methods of diking and damming spills, how to set up decontamination areas, using various detection meters," said …
Thursday, February 9, 2012
A fire broke out on 12 Carriage Way; the homeowner was transported to the hospital.
A small cellar fire broke out at about 3:20 p.m. Thursday at 12 Carriage Way. According to the Fire Department, the fire started in the cellar. The fire was contained in the cellar and put out in under one minute. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The homeowner was taken to Mass General Hospital and is being treated for unknown injuries. A dog was rescued from the second floor under a bed, but is doing fine. Firefighters were worried that she had inhaled too much smoke, and had to give her oxygen.
Thursday, December 29, 2011
A motorist crashed into the Main Street businesses around 11:45 a.m. Thursday.
A motorist driving a Toyota Prius on Main Street crashed into the front of two Main Street businesses around 11:45 a.m. Thursday morning. According to North Reading Police, the female driver first hit the Heritage Building sign, panicked and then crashed into the windows of Performance Plus Hair Salon and Chic Nails & Spa. Stylist Laura Hidish of Methuen was inside the salon when the Toyota drove into the front of the store. "If I was doing hair in my chair it would've hit someone," she said. "Everyone was really lucky." Receptionist Ashley Madison of Dracut was also at the salon. "I was in the back room and I thought one of the shelves broke, but then I heard them screaming," Madison said. Both the Police and Fire Department reported to…
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Donald A. Corson, 90, of Lynnfield, formerly of North Reading and Malden, died at his home Saturday.
Friday, November 4, 2011
During a major incident, especially if there are widespread power losses, how does the town communicate with residents?
Welcome to You Asked...Patch Answers where we answer questions from readers. Patch readers want to know how the town communicates with its residents during a major incident, especially if there are widespread power losses, such as what much of the area has experienced over the past week. Here's your answer. It is difficult for the town to keep residents in the loop during an emergency. The best thing residents can do is be proactive if there is an incident in town; call the police or fire department for information or check in with your local Patch and other media. Town Administrator Greg Balukonis said, "It is a real challenge to communicate when residents do not have power or telephone service. There no real good answer to your question …