The holiday season is here. That means holiday parties, holiday snacks and baked goods! Here are five ways to stay fit this holiday season, even if you don't have a lot of time.
1. Oatmeal. Pledge to eat oatmeal for breakfast for the entire month of December. Oatmeal for breakfast will help you feel fuller for longer, and prevent mid-morning snacking. It's also high in fiber and protein. Mix in some fruit if it's too bland for you. If you don't think you can stand oatmeal everyday, give yourself a break on the weekend.
2. TV crunches. When you are watching your or special this year, do some crunches during the commercials. It will only take a few minutes, and who doesn't have time to spare while commercials are on?
3. Pre-holiday party meal. Always eat before you go to a party. It's tempting to show up hungry and enjoy all of the delicious cheese, crackers, cakes and chocolates. However, if you have something healthy like a salad or piece of grilled chicken before you go to the party, you won't eat as much of the unhealthy stuff.
4. Grocery weights. Use your groceries as weights when you are putting them away. When you are making several trips from your car to the house, lift the bags up and down and make it a workout.
5. Brisk walks. Even though it's getting colder, try to make it outside for a brisk 10-minute walk everyday. Wait until afternoon when the sun is out and the temperature is at its warmest. It will help you work off your lunch calories and keep your heart healthy.